Saturday 30 May 2009

What am I doing?

It's a saturday evening & I'm bored. I've spent the day doing very little of any note, much the same as quite a few recent weekends. I'm at a loose end.

I don't have any hobbies that take up my free time, and I'm not a fan of spending every evening in the pub drinking away my savings.

But hope is at hand. The sun is shining, and earlier I took a walk down by the local river, the Hogsmill. In the space of 45 minutes I met some young lads fishing, came face to face with a fox in broad daylight, and watched the parakeets whizz between the trees. I've found some inspiration at last.

I'm going to get my walking boots on and spend some time in this beautiful weather. Tomorrow I plan to walk from Kingston to Ewell, following the route of the Hogsmill river, from where it meets the Thames up to it's source at Bourne Hall Park, 7.3 miles (11.7km) away.

On further reading I discover it is part of something called the London Loop, Section 8. A loop! Around London! This catches my imagination, and straight away my mind is filled with thoughts of walking the entire Loop. Not all tomorrow, obviously. But something to aim for, something to plan, something to do.


It's discoveries like this that keep me going sometimes. I've been at a loose end for a long time, but maybe that's about to change. Or maybe I'll get home tomorrow, sunburnt, blistered and aching. We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment